Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) 2022
SYEP will be accepting applications beginning April 11, 2022 to May 13, 2022. The Higher Education Program/SYEP will host a youth job fair at Winnebago Public School practice gym on Thursday, May 19, 2022, beginning at 9:00am. Program supervisors that complete the worksite forms will conduct their own interviews onsite at the youth job fair and make a selection for a youth worker(s).
SYEP participants that are selected by a worksite must successfully complete all requirements before officially hired for the summer. SYEP will have a mandatory orientation before the start date of Monday, June 13, 2022. SYEP will have (8) mandatory workshops throughout the summer.
The Education Department has a new data system all programs (including SYEP) will be utilizing very soon. We will add the link as soon as we are ready to launch. The new data system allows participants to complete the application process online, for us to add updates for SYEP participants as well as any future Survey’s for our youth. Until then, Winnebago Public School will have the paper applications as well as the Higher Education office.
For more information, please contact the Higher Education office at 402-878-2631, ext. 1801:
The goal of SYEP is for our youth to develop necessary skills and work ethic while receiving on-the-job training within the Winnebago Tribe of NE. Through positive interactions they learn job duties and responsibilities in each position they are placed within the tribe. Each youth is paid for the hours worked. The extra workforce for Programs during the summer months is needed and appreciated.
Applications are accepted starting in April of each year. Followed by the closing date the next month. The SYEP hosts a youth job fair in May for all interested program supervisors that are interested in mentoring the youth. Supervisors are provided the opportunity to conduct their own interviews and make a selection for a youth worker(s). Mandatory workshops for the youth are held throughout the summer that focus on leadership, soft skills, and employment benefits such as creating a resume, cover letter, and job application.
Acceptable identification for employment: State Id or Driver’s License, School Id with a photo, Tribal Id card with photo and Social Security card
Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska - Summer Youth Employment Program 2022
- Youth High School students between the ages of 14 – 19 years old (Up to 21 years for Disability/IEP, will be verified)
- Enrolled in school on a full-time basis
- Enrolled with the Winnebago Tribe of NE (Tribal SYEP)
- (Must reside on the Winnebago Reservation)
- Enrolled in a Federally Recognized Tribe (Social Services Program)
- (Must live in the service areas Woodbury, Dakota, Thurston County)
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA for the current academic school year (if an IEP on file, must provide proof)
- Must not have more than 12 absences for the academic school year (Tribal SYEP)
- All positions are classified as non-agricultural jobs, youth age 14 – 18 may be employed for non-hazardous positions. Youth age 14 – 15 are not allowed to operate mechanized equipment and youth age 16 – 18 may operate mechanized equipment under adult supervision.
|FY 2022 Poverty Guidelines – Annual Household Income 48 Contiguous States and D.C .Persons in Household|
*Eligible youth participants will be paid NE minimum wage for actual hours worked up to 32 hours per week, up to (9) weeks. Must attend Mandatory workshops each week.
Youth are required to maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher and have no more than 12 absences for the school year. These requirements may differ with our other funding sources.
Higher Education office, located at 916 N. Mission Drive, old Head Start modular by the Youth Shelter.