From the Office of Environmental Protection
The Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska was the host tribe for our quarterly RTOC Meeting (Regional Tribal Operations Committee), October 10th and 11th. And where better to have it than our newly built casino and resort WinnaVegas. Denise Jensen, Water Quality Specialist and Darwin Snyder, Tribal Council Environmental Liaison were the organizers for this event. Denise and Mike Gutzmer, Wetland Scientist from New Century Environmental hosted an Ecological Tour to train tribes on plant identification.
There are nine tribes in EPA Region 7. These tribes brought in representatives from:
- *Kickapoo Tribe in Kansas
- *Meskwaki Nation (Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa)
- *Omaha Tribe of Nebraska and Iowa
- *Ponca Tribe of Nebraska
- *Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation
- *Sac & Fox Nation of Missouri in Kansas & Nebraska
- *Santee Sioux Nation
- *Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska
- *Iowa Tribe of Kansas and Nebraska (absent)
Everyone had a good time and special thanks to Kim Sulsberger, Deana Whistler and staff at WinnaVegas as they provided “excellent customer service”.